No matter what new diet fad I may try, it always seems that I come right back to my Low Carb living. It’s the ONLY diet that I can stick to so easily and that I don’t feel like I’m starving. The only setback for me though is that sometimes I get tired of eating the same ol’ thing, I mean there are only so many low carb snacks that actually taste good. That can be dangerous because that’s usually when I start eyeballing other things in the cabinets! Yesterday, I was in the mood for something crunchy, even though I’m not a chip kind of girl, I do love some chips and dip/salsa on occasion, but I knew I couldn’t take out the bag of tortilla chips or it would be all over with.
I’d seen on a few blogs like this one where she made chips from cheese, and they look so good, but I wasn’t sure I wanted a “chip” quite that cheesy. That means I needed a different base, and maybe put a little cheese into it, right? The only thing I could think of that turns crispy when cooked that is low carb friendly, are the whites of an egg. So that’s what I used and after a few trial runs on how much to use and how long to cook it to get that perfect non-burned crunch…….I nailed it (or at least I think I did).
I’m not kidding you these things are soooooo good. I’m not even going to confess to how many I ate, or plan to eat today but it’s okay, because they have (almost) ZERO CARBS!!! The eggs I use have 0 carbs, the cheese has 0 carbs, and okay if you use dip like I used ranch which had less than 1 gram of carbs per 2 tbsp. It’s still way better than regular chips with a trillion infinity grams per serving (which is usually somewhere around 2 chips). Anyway, enough about that. These are seriously easy to make, don’t take much time, and you can season them any way you want to for your own taste buds. They’re really simple to make, I literally just whisked up the egg whites, added a PINCH of salt and pepper and a few pieces of shredded cheese and wah-lah. I cooked them in a medium muffin pan, although you can use whichever size you wish, and I used a syringe just to make sure I got a similar amount of egg white in each cup (helps them to cook more evenly). Just one more look shall we…….
If you do decide to make some of these, I would love to know how you liked them.
- 4 Egg Whites
- 2 tbsp shredded cheese of your flavor choice
- 1/2 tbsp water to thin it out a little
- Salt and pepper to taste if desired
- Preheat your oven to 400 and ready a non stick medium size muffin pan
- Whisk together your egg whites, water, and whatever seasoning you want to flavor
- With a syringe, fill each muffin cup with approx 2.5ml of the egg white mixture, needs to be just enough to cover the bottom.
- Sprinkle a small pinch of the cheese you desire onto each egg white
- Bake for 15 minutes to acquire a good crunch without burning, but check them every couple of minutes to make sure.
- Remove from oven once they are at your preferred crunch, and enjoy them with any low carb dip or solely on their own.
- With the eggs I used this came out to be about 4 chips per egg white.