Being a single mom again in my 30’s is trying. There are a lot of responsibilities and I’ve learned along the way that running a clean and frugal household goes hand in hand with keeping my sanity. One of my biggest set offs is a dirty house, most especially a dirty kitchen. That being said, the majority of my time is spent in my kitchen whether I’m cooking or cleaning. Next to cleanliness in my home is something really important, and that is trying to save whenever I can. A few years ago I really made some changes to try to budget better and catch as many savings as I could, and I wanted to share some of my kitchen savings tips with you today that will help not only with saving time, but money as well.
Kitchen Savings Tips:
- First and foremost, you need a good quality trash bag like Hefty Ultra Strong. I’ve used cheap trash bags, and in all honesty, they can be a pain. I’ve had them tear more times than I can count, and cleaning up the mess they leave definitely does not save time! Hefty Ultra Strong bags are my go to because they are simply the best in my opinion. They fit my trash can nice and tight so there’s no slipping down into the trash can. They have Arm & Hammer odor neutralizers with a variety of nice scents like Lavender & Sweet Vanilla and Citrus Twist (my favorite) and an active tear resistant technology!
- Always keep your kitchen clean, and don’t be afraid to get your kids helping. In my opinion, a clean kitchen will motivate you more to cook at home than to eat out and spend money. My secret to keeping a clean kitchen is to deep clean on the weekends, and then maintain it daily by cleaning up as you go.
- Organization is a must in my kitchen. I’m extremely forgetful and I used to buy items that I already had at home just because it was unorganized and I didn’t see that I already had things in there. So always keep inventory of what you have and keep a running list on your fridge for things you actually need.
- Buy in bulk when there are great sales going on. With 4 kids, I shop at a club store for our food. I buy in bulk because the prices are better, and then I separate and freeze my meats for individual meals.
- Reuse sturdy containers. I LOVE doing this, and I know it doesn’t look all fancy, but I don’t really care! One of my favorite containers to use are the plastic lidded coffee containers. I reuse them for things like flour and sugar. A plastic container won’t tear and make a mess like a paper bag will.
- Don’t forget the box tops, although these don’t bring YOU savings, your local schools can really benefit from these. So if you have kids in school collecting them or know of some that are, be sure to snip the box tops off of your Hefty packaging and help your schools out!
- Use coupons when they’re available, and always, always, ALWAYS use the FREE Ibotta app. I use mine every time I shop for both food and kitchen/home items and you truly can rack up the savings…..or more earnings really.
Speaking of coupons and Ibotta, right now you save BIG when you pair the $1.00 off coupon available at Coupons.com on top of the Ibotta $1.00 cash back offer.
- Grab your $1.00 off coupon for one box of Hefty trash bags
- Earn $1.00 cash back via the FREE Ibotta app after purchasing one box of Hefty trash bags.
Are you down for saving time and money in the kitchen? What are some kitchen savings tips you use to keep your kitchen running smoother and affordable?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.